If Hurricane Isaac looked scary the other day, he looks even more scary today. The entire Louisiana coast-line is under a Hurricane Warning, which is a step up from a Hurricane Watch. Everyone is talking about their plans–evacuating or staying in place?
We got some information finally about how things work at the hospital–there’s a “Code Gray” team that gets activated in the event of a Hurricane. If that’s the case, all of the interns are permitted to evacuate if they so choose. They are not required to be at the hospital at all during Code Gray. Originally the Code Gray team was going to meet this morning to determine whether or not they were going to activate the Code, but they postponed and will be meeting tomorrow morning, which means we need to stay at least until then. If they decide NOT to activate the Code Gray, then Ken is on call on Wednesday, from 7 AM to 9 PM and as far as we know, he’ll still have to work tomorrow, too. If they DO activate it, then Ken does not have to report back to work until Thursday morning. At this point, we are about 98% certain that we’ll stay here in New Orleans no matter what. Luckily, if Ken does have to work tomorrow and Wednesday, I have offers from lots of people to let me come join them at their house so that I don’t have to be home alone without power. They all have different things to offer too: one is on the 3rd floor of a big building, one has a generator, one is right next door to our house (i.e. our landlords), etc. I think for now we’ll just sort of keep watching and seeing what happens and we’ll make decisions as we need to. Whatever happens, I just do not want to have to evacuate without Ken… the thought of being 32 weeks pregnant and being several hours away from my husband is terrifying and not something I want to even think about. It’s true that I’m unlikely to go into labor in the very near future, but stress and anxiety can do funny things to the human body, and I’m sure they can wreak all kinds of havoc on pregnant women’s bodies.
Luckily yesterday I did our shopping pretty early in the day so stores were not out of the things that we wanted to get–I got 48 16 oz. bottles of water, goldfish, crackers, canned tuna, canned corn, granola & soy milk, granola bars, nutrigrain bars, batteries and a lantern. This afternoon on my way home from work (yes, I’m at work and they have still not told us when we are allowed to leave, but we’re guessing we’ll be released to go home around 2 PM) I’m going to stop to get cash at the ATM and I’m going to get ice from the grocery store. My biggest concern with being pregnant during this Hurricane is staying cool and hydrated. Dehydration can cause you go to into labor, and being over-heated is not only unpleasant, but it can be dangerous and often makes me feel nauseous/dizzy/lightheaded. Also, when you’re over-heated, it’s easier to become dehydrated, thus causing a vicious cycle.
Because of the storm, our 4th and final Childbirth Education class is being cancelled, and when I asked about them rescheduling it, they said that unfortunately they will not be doing so but that we are welcome to come to the September class–on the 25th or 26th of September, at which time I will be 36 weeks pregnant. So I wrote back to the Nurse Educator in charge of the class and I said I will plan on coming to one of those classes unless we have our baby before then, in which case I don’t think I’ll need the “All About Baby” class since I will have learned some of that stuff in the hospital by then.
Chances are I won’t be able to do my 32-week update or Hump Day Bump Day picture this week what with the Hurricane coming, but I’ll be sure to give a big update later in the week. My mom is scheduled to get here on Friday and stay until Tuesday. Hopefully travel is not affected that late in the week! Please keep your fingers crossed for me and all the people of Southern Louisiana who may be affected by Hurricane Isaac. I will update again as soon as I can!