So much has happened since I last posted!

I just looked at the calendar and realized that the last time I posted was the last day I was at work, and today’s my first day back since then!  So much has happened in the interim that it’s hard to know where to start!  I guess I’ll start in the most logical place… last Monday, right where I left off! 

Monday afternoon at work, everyone was getting ready for the storm–people with desks near the windows had to put plastic bags over their computer monitors to protect them in the event that windows broke and water got in the building.  Everyone was talking about their plans: evacuate?  Shelter in place?  etc. etc.  It was quite hectic and stress-inducing just hearing all the talk about the storm.  All of the anticipation is what scares me the most.  Around 2 PM we got a message that we were free to go and that we would get updates about when to come back to work.  Ken also got out of work around that time and then found out later in the day that he would also be off until Thursday at the earliest.  Knowing Ken would not have to work definitely made me feel better about our plan to stay at home during the storm.  I had been really nervous about the possibility of being stuck at home by myself without power while Ken was at the hospital. 

Tuesday we hit the 32-week mark, and the Baby was the size of a Squash!

Tuesday morning when we woke up, the wind had started to pick up a little bit but there was nothing crazy happening yet.  We went on a walk down to Stein’s Deli to get bagels for lunch.  It was absolutely packed since apparently it was one of the only places open Tuesday morning.  Around 1 or 2 in the afternoon is when the wind started to pick up, and so did the rain.  Most of the afternoon and evening the wind and rain was pretty constant.  We ended up spending a lot of time next door with our landlords, watching TV, sitting around and chatting, playing with their kids, etc.  Over night on Tuesday, our windows were rattling and the wind was whistling outside.  We got ourselves set up with flashlights nearby so that if the power went off, we would be ready.  The storm continued all day Wednesday and into Wednesday night.  By Thursday morning, it had pretty much stopped.  Somehow we were EXTREMELY lucky and we never lost our power.  All of our friends lost power sometime on Tuesday night or Wednesday and some people ended up not getting their power back until Monday or Tuesday this week!  We were really lucky, so a few friends came by to store food in our fridge and freezer.  People also came by to charge their phones and use our internet.  It’s amazing how dependent we all are on electricity to live our day-to-day lives!  Thursday, Ken and I took a drive around the city to check out some of the damage–there were a lot of trees that fell down and lots of power lines that were down.  A couple of buildings had a lot of damage but for the most part, the buildings in New Orleans proper were okay.  Several other parishes had a lot more damage and they are going to need a lot of help getting back on their feet.  Ken ended up not having to go back to work until Friday morning and I found out I was off until Tuesday (but since I was already taking Tuesday off to spend the day with my mom, I didn’t actually have to report back to work until Wednesday morning).

Friday my mom arrived in the evening, and then she, Ken and I went to Shabbat dinner at our Rabbi’s house.  It was very hectic and busy because they were hosting a lot of people who didn’t have power and therefore didn’t have a place to stay or to make food.  It was really nice of them to open up their home like that to so many people!  Saturday, Ken was on call so my mom and I spent the day together–we went through baby clothes, we went out for lunch, we went to Macy’s to do a little shopping, etc.  We had a great day together!  Saturday night when Ken got home, the three of us went over to the home of some of Ken’s colleagues and we played a couple of rounds of Texas Holdem and Black Jack.  My mom really enjoyed meeting some of our friends and seeing a bit of what our lives are like on an every day basis.  After poker, we came home and went to bed since Ken had to work early the next morning. 

Around midnight on Saturday night/Sunday morning, I woke up with HORRIBLE lower back pain on my right side.  I had no idea what it was but it was really bad.  I couldn’t find a comfortable position to lie down in and I was tossing and turning because it hurt so badly.  I woke up Ken, who rubbed my back for a while, but I felt bad waking him up because I knew he had to get up early the next morning to work.  Finally the pain was unbearable so I went into my mom’s room and woke her up.  We figured out that the only thing that made the pain any better was putting pressure on it, so we rolled up a blanket for me to sleep on and we put it right under the spot that was hurting.  That made me feel a little better but the pain was still pretty bad.  In the morning the pain had not gone away, and Ken said I should call the doctor.  I called the on-call doctor (who happened to be my own OB!) and she said to come in to make sure it wasn’t a kidney or bladder infection or pre-term labor.  So I woke up my mom and told her that we had to go into L&D at the Hospital for me to get checked out. 

We got to the hospital and they hooked me up to monitors.  The baby’s heartbeat was doing fine and she was moving around a lot and luckily I wasn’t having any contractions.  They took a urine sample for me and the quick Urinalysis showed that there was bacteria in my urine, so the doctors decided they were going to treat me for a UTI.  They sent me home with a prescription for antibiotics and said to call them if I had a fever of 100.4 or higher.  Right around the time they were about to let me go, I started to feel very feverish.  I’ve always been good at knowing when I have a fever because my symptoms are very clear to me.  The resident took my temperature and it showed 98.8 degrees.  She felt my forehead and said I did feel rather warm but she decided to go by what the thermometer said, so she sent me home with my prescriptions.  We dropped off the prescriptions and then went home.  I crawled into bed and was going to try to take a nap but I was still feeling feverish so I took my temperature with our own thermometer and it read 100.85.  At that point we called L&D and told them that I spiked a fever, so they said to come back in and they would be admitting me for IV antibiotics.  Ken met us at home when he got off from work, and we went straight to the hospital.  Admitting me took several hours but finally they put me in a room and hooked me up for IV Fluids.  I got one dose of IV Antibiotics Sunday night and they said they were going to monitor me over night.  We got different stories from different people about when I would be able to go home–the attending said I would probably be in the hospital for 2-5 days and the resident said it would be around 24 hours.  Ken stayed in the hospital with me over night on Sunday night, and in the middle of the night I spiked a fever of 101.6.  They told me that because of that they were going to keep me for at least 48 hours without a fever.  Luckily I didn’t spike another fever and I ultimately got to go home late Tuesday, around dinner time after 2 more doses of IV Antibiotics.  I was sent home with prescriptions for more antibiotics–I’m on a treatment dose of antibiotics for 11 days and then a preventative dose for the rest of my pregnancy and until the baby is 6 weeks old. 

Apparently the reason that kidney/bladder infections are so common during pregnancy is that as the uterus gets bigger to accommodate the baby, it presses on your urethra and bladder which can cause the bladder to not empty completely, which can in turn cause infections.  So they need to keep me on antibiotics until my uterus shrinks back down to a normal size before the risk of infection goes away.  I’m still having some pain in my back from the infection but hopefully as I continue to take the antibiotics the pain will subside. 

In other news, on Tuesday we hit the 33-week marker, and baby is now the size of a Honeydew Melon or a Durian (I had never heard of Durians so I looked them up on Wikipedia–apparently it is a very smelly fruit that is sometimes banned because it’s so stinky! )

(I thought this sign was really funny!)

Tuesday night after I got discharged, my mom and I went to another La Leche League meeting at Zuka Baby.  This one was nicer than the last one I went to, partially because it was much smaller and there were fewer militant people there.  I think the ladies who were there also really enjoyed the fact that my mom was there because she shared her stories about breastfeeding me until I was almost 2 and a half.  After the meeting, anyone who attends gets a discount on certain products at the store, so my mom very generously bought me the breastpump that I had registered for!  Wednesday I took the day off from work to spend with my mom since we didn’t get to do the fun things that we had wanted to do on Tuesday.

First, I had an appointment with the MFM and my mom got to come with me!  The appointment went well and we finally had some questions answered that we had for a long time.  It turns out the baby is still head up and chances are, because of the size and shape of my uterus, that she will not have space to turn around.  She does still have 4 more weeks to turn around, but if she’s not head-down by 37 weeks, I will probably be scheduled for a C-Section around 39 weeks.  We asked about the possibility of doing an ECV or a vaginal breech delivery, but my doctor advised us against either of those because they are just too risky because of my Unicornuate Uterus.  It’s important just to keep the end goal in mind: a healthy baby and a healthy mommy and if the healthiest way to achieve that end result is with a C-Section, then that’s what we will do.  We did get a couple of cute pictures of the baby during the Ultrasound including this one of her face with her chubby cheeks and kissy lips!

After the appointment, my mom and I went to get coffee and then we went to the Maternity Store.  We went with the goal of getting a Maternity Support Belt (which we found) and while we were there we found some clothes for me–3 shirts and 2 pairs of leggings!  We then went home to pick up Ken and the three of us went out to lunch at Rum House, one of my favorite restaurants.  After lunch, we dropped off Ken and my mom and I went for some spa treatments–I got a mani/pedi and my mom got just a pedicure.  At the Spa, my mom also bought me my birthday present–2 prenatal massages!  I scheduled the first one for next Saturday, and after that one I’ll schedule the second one for sometime a little closer to my due date.

Finally, since I didn’t get a chance to post HDBD photos for the past couple of weeks, I do have this photo that my mom took of me & Ken yesterday afternoon.  I really love this photo and my mom said she thinks the Baby will like it a lot, too!

Now I’m hoping to stay out of the hospital for the next several weeks and to keep this baby cooking at least 3 or 4 more weeks.  I’m also hoping to have a fun and enjoyable birthday celebration this weekend since my 27th birthday is this Sunday.  Not sure  yet what the plans are, but whatever they are, I’m sure they will be lots of fun!  Hopefully my next update will be much more routine… no more hurricanes, no more trips to the Hospital, just a regular old weekly pregnancy update!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s