Oh Monday, Monday!

It’s been a minute since I’ve posted (that’s one of the sayings Ken hears from his patients a lot, that I think is really funny) because so much has been going on!

Thursday at around 11:30 AM, I got a call from Julia’s daycare that she had a fever of 100.9, so I had to go and pick her up for the day.  There’s a state regulation that says that kids have to be fever-free for 24 hours before they can go back to daycare, so I immediately figured I would be taking off the rest of Thursday and all of Friday.  Thursday afternoon I took Julia to the doctor, just to be safe, and as I suspected, she had just a little cold.  Really, other than her fever she didn’t have any other symptoms.  She was maybe a little stuffy and had a little bit of a runny nose but she wasn’t being particularly fussy or anything.  The silver lining, as my mom mentioned, was that I got to go home to spend time with my baby!3.18.2013.11

We stopped at La Boulangerie for a quick meet-up with some of the friends I’ve met on the Pumpkin Patch Facebook group (the short story is that the Bump message boards became very snarky and obnoxious so a bunch of women started a Facebook group called the Pumpkin Patch, which is all women with babies born in October, 2012 and there are about 4-5 of us who live in the New Orleans area so we finally got it together to meet up).  This was the first time I was meeting them in person and I felt like I was going on a blind date, but we ended up having a lot of fun!  We tried to take some cute pictures with the babies, but they weren’t all cooperating.  We’re hoping to get together again next month for the Ponchatoula Strawberry Festival! 3.18.2013.10


Thursday evening, we gave Julia her first taste of Rice Cereal!  We started about 3 weeks before we’re officially “supposed” to start but we figured we would just see how she did.  She did pretty well but we did make it a little too liquidy.  We tried again yesterday and made it a bit thicker, and she did much better.  She opened her mouth for the spoon, and especially yesterday, more of it seemed to end up in her mouth than on her bib.  3.18.2013.2

We’ll probably give her rice cereal again a few times this week and, provided she does well with it, we’ll bring a box to daycare so they can start giving it to her in the mornings after her first bottle.  Then next week we’ll start her with some real foods!  We’re thinking sweet potato to start, followed by avocado and banana.  After that we’ll just experiment and see what she likes, then we can start combining flavors, too!  Oh this will be so much fun!

Thursday night was probably the worst night we’ve had with the baby (I should add that I can count on one hand the number of really bad nights we’ve had so all in all, we’re very lucky!)… she would not go to sleep and wanted to nurse pretty much non-stop most of the night.  At about 3 or 4 in the morning, she was absolutely inconsolable for about 45 minutes.  She wouldn’t nurse, she wouldn’t take the pacifier.  I had already changed her diaper, she had nursed not long before so she wasn’t hungry.  Ultimately the thing that calmed her down was Ken standing up with her and bouncing her.  Finally at about 7 AM, she fell asleep nursing and slept until about 10:15 AM.  She woke up just in time for us to go to Match Day!

Ken had his Match Day a year ago, but I had three friends who were Matching this year, and I really wanted to be there for them, to support them since they have been such good friends to me over the past couple of years.  I’m really glad we went and the baby actually did really well while we were there!3.18.2013.8



After the Match Day ceremony was over, I came home and Julia and I took a nice long nap together before going to grab some dinner with Ken and a couple of his fellow Tulane alums who came to town for St. Patrick’s Day.  After dinner, Julia and I went home to go to sleep and Ken stayed out to celebrate with everybody.

Saturday was the St. Patrick’s Day Parade here in New Orleans, and of course we had a great time!  Ken caught about 5 or 6 cabbages and a potato in addition to all the beads and stuffed animals we caught.  3.18.2013.3




Sunday we just spent most of the day recovering… we got our Passover shopping done and got a few things done around the house, then Sunday night for dinner Ken made some delicious cabbage soup!

And now… it’s back to reality after a fun weekend!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s