What a Weekend!

We had a very busy weekend which was lots of fun but left me feeling exhausted by the time Sunday night came around.  We got in bed at 8 PM last night to read and I heard some snores coming from the other side of the bed by about 9:45!  Though we had a lot of fun, I am left feeling like I need a day or two to recover from the weekend.  I’m thinking next weekend we will be sure to make NO plans and to spend a lot of time just relaxing and hanging out as a family at home (we also have the family picnic next weekend at Julia’s new daycare!).

My weekend started on Friday… I took the day off from work to go shopping with Miss Steffi and left Julia at daycare!  I decided ahead of time that I was going to buy nothing for Julia (both of her grandmothers recently bought her a bunch of new clothes), and only buy myself work-appropriate clothing.  I got two nice outfits, and luckily all the pieces I got can be worn together in various combinations.  After picking up Julia, I went home and met another new babysitter, Jessica.  She is a Hopkins and Kappa alum who is living in Towson while she studies for the GRE and applies to graduate school.  She has a lot of availability and has a lot of experience with kids.  She nannied for a family with 3 kids for 3 months, including one kid who was 6 and-a-half months.  Julia seemed to like her just fine, so we decided to ask her to babysit the following night.

Friday night we went to Shabbat services at one of the Modern Orthodox synagogues in Pikesville.  The Rabbi went to the same Yeshiva as our Rabbi from New Orleans so we figured they might be similar in beliefs, attitudes and personalities and we were right!  We enjoyed the services at the Shul, and then the Rabbi invited us over for dinner.  One of the other congregants offered to drive my car over to the Rabbi’s house so we could walk with him.  We met his wife, who is a dentist, and the older two of his 3 children.  His youngest is a baby boy who is just 2 weeks younger than Julia!  We ended up getting along really well with them and we stayed until nearly 11 PM!  Luckily Julia fell asleep nursing and stayed asleep in my arms for quite a while, then she stayed asleep getting into the car, on the drive home, getting out of the car, getting up the stairs and going in her crib!

Saturday morning we had Julia’s last swim class for this session (we signed up for the fall session of swimming lessons too, so we have a couple of weeks off before they start up again).  She did really well and didn’t cry at all!  I think the swim classes have really helped to make her feel comfortable in the water and it’s been a good way to meet other babies around her age.  It will be good to be signed up for the class again because, even though we’ll learn the same techniques again, it will force us to come to the pool once a week and without the class I don’t know that we would do it on our own.

After swimming, we went home and Julia took a 2-hour nap!  After her nap she got pigtails for the first time, and then we went to two different housewarming parties!  8.19.2013(6)

The first party was hosted by a girl, Lydia, who I met through the Hopkins Kappa chapter.  She and her girlfriend just moved from Charles Village to Hampden and they had a little BBQ gathering at their new house.  The food was delicious and they had a great group of friends.  Everyone was very nice about us having the baby with us.  She was happy crawling around chasing their dogs and being passed from person to person to bounce on their laps.

The second party was hosted by a guy Ken knew in college.  He and his wife have a daughter who is 17 months old and they are expecting a second baby in January.  All of the people at their party had kids ranging in age from 6 months to 6 years old, so there were lots of other kids for Julia to play with and lots of fun toys.  We had a great time!

After the parties, we went home, fed Julia dinner and put her to bed, then the babysitter came over.  This time the babysitter came over for us to go do separate things.  Ken went to see Corey’s band play a gig down in  Dundalk and I went to a Mom’s Night Out with 4 other moms at a Wine Bar in Locust Point.  We both had a great time doing our own thing and we agreed that, even though it was expensive to get a babysitter for 4 hours, it was well worth it for us to be able to go out and do our own thing.  It’s important that we both have friends we can go out with, and sometimes we’ll have separate things we want to do at the same time.

Sunday morning we went out for pancakes at Pete’s Grille and then we went to the Orioles game with Corey & Steffi.  Julia got to meet the Bird (she didn’t know quite what to think of him) and we also made an appearance on the Jumbotron!8.19.2013

After the game, we headed back to Corey & Steffi’s house for a little while, where Corey pulled out one of his guitars to treat us to some music.  Julia was in awe watching him, and she also enjoyed banging on her drum (aka shoe box).  It was really cute to watch them! 8.19.2013(3)


We then went to the Synagogue again for their annual BBQ Dinner, which was a lot of fun.  We met a few young families with kids and got another chance to talk to the Rabbi & his wife.

This morning I dropped Julia off at her new daycare!  She wore a new outfit and had a pretty bow in her hair: 8.19.2013(4)Drop off seemed to go pretty well.  I met her teachers (who both seemed really nice) and the other kids in her class.  For now there are 5 kids in her class: one boy and 4 girls (but in November they might get one or two more who will be babies moving up from the younger baby room).  Julia is the youngest in her room for now, but only by a couple of weeks.  The teachers said they really work on getting the kids onto a good schedule with just one nap in the afternoon, so I’m hoping that Julia will just slide right into that (I’m keeping my fingers crossed).  I’ll be sure to keep you updated!

Ken is on call this week, so keep your fingers crossed that there aren’t too many eye injuries between now and Friday morning.  Next weekend, like I mentioned, we have the family picnic at Julia’s new daycare.  The following weekend is Labor Day, when Ken’s parents are coming to visit!  We have a lot to look forward to over the next few weeks!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s