Well I’m now a little over a week post-op and am starting to feel normal again.  Mostly I’m so happy to have this whole experience behind us and I’m excited that we can start to move on physically from this pregnancy loss.  Emotionally I’m sure there will be little reminders here and there, but physically this loss is completely behind us now.  The next steps are for me to get my period back and then we’ve been recommended to wait 3 cycles before we start “trying” again.  I’ve already resumed taking my pre-natal vitamins and extra folic acid, so I’m ready as soon as we are given the “all-clear.”  And luckily now that my OB practice here has followed me through this whole ordeal, they know about me and are willing to see me right at 6 weeks when I get pregnant next.

My mom arrived Sunday before my surgery, and it was so nice that she was able to come help.  Julia and I picked her up from the airport and then the three of us went out for a girls dinner.  Monday was a good day for us to show my mom the routine… how to get to school, etc. and Julia also had her first swim class!

Tuesday, Ken and I had to leave bright and early to drive down to Baltimore.  We checked in and then they started all the pre-op things… a urine test, blood pressure, etc. The nurse was very confused when my urine pregnancy test came back positive.  The thing that was most annoying about this whole ordeal was having to explain what was going on to so many people over and over again. The whole reason I was having this surgery was because I was pregnant and the pregnancy implanted in the wrong place, and yet the nurse was confused about why my pregnancy test came back positive. I kept wanting to put a post-it note on my forehead saying “yes, I know I’m pregnant.”

Once I was all done getting checked in, Ken was able to join me and we sat and waited for a while until they wheeled me back for surgery.  All-told the surgery took about an hour and forty-five minutes.  I was in quite a bit of pain when I first woke up, but they gave me some pain meds that took care of it.  I was admitted for the night onto a VIP floor where they had fancy bottled water, no techs (only nurses), free coffee and tea 24-hours a day, and some other nice amenities.  Apparently it was an accident that I was admitted to that floor, but it was a nice accident to have happen to me! That night I had a couple of visitors stop by after Ken went to Pete & Sarah’s house to sleep.  I took the advice I have always been given about abdominal surgery, which is to get up and walk as quickly and as often as possible and I think that really helped my recovery process.

The next morning I was still in quite a bit of pain, but I definitely felt ready to head home and sleep in my own bed! 2-2-20176

We got discharged a little after lunch and Ken drove us back home, where I proceeded to get back in bed!  My co-worker, Nichole sent me the most fuzzy and cozy bathrobe I have ever seen, and it was so nice to know she had been thinking of me! 2-2-20175

I pretty much spent the next 2 days in bed… getting up just to walk around a little and use the bathroom, but within a couple days the pain started to get much better and I felt well enough to get out a little bit.  At this point, a week and 2 days post-op I am feeling mostly back to normal.  I still have some tenderness in my belly around the incisions and I still find myself getting tired if I over-do it, and in the mid-late afternoon, but I’m sure that will subside over the next couple of days.  We have a busy weekend planned, and then on Monday afternoon I’ll go for my 2-week post-op appointment with the surgeon, at which time she will write me a back-to-work note.  I’ll probably go back to work either Tuesday or Wednesday, but probably with limited driving the first couple weeks back.  Spending long periods of time in the car, sitting in one position, is probably not great for the internal healing that needs to happen since it causes additional pain and tenderness.

Overall I would say the experience I had at Hopkins was amazing.  All the nurses, doctors, techs, residents, everyone… was professional, kind, courteous, explained things well, etc. It’s not somewhere I would want to go for routine care but with something as rare and bizarre as what I had going on, I was so grateful for the care they provided.

And at home, it was nice to know my mom was holding down the fort while I rested and got back to normal.  My mom was originally going to go home on Sunday, but she decided to extend her trip a bit and stay until Tuesday so that she could help out with Julia’s second swim class and so she could visit with Uncle Neil & Aunt Karen and with Rachel (all of whom came to visit over the weekend!)  It was nice to visit with them, and I’m glad I had my mom’s help for the first two days of the week with getting Julia to and from school.

Now that my mom went home, we are trying to get back onto some sort of routine.  I’m glad I still have a couple of days to relax a little before I need to get back to work, and I’m looking forward to the fun things we have planned for this weekend.

I’m still anxiously awaiting the time I can finally write my post about “Poppyseed 2.0 being on his/her way” after a healthy pregnancy has been confirmed, but until that time I’ll keep you posted on our every day life and some of the amazing things our 4-year old is doing these days!  Maybe I’ll even be a little more open this time around about our “Trying to Conceive” experience for those who find that sort of information helpful.



One thought on “Recovering

  1. I want you to know how much I appreciate that you are sharing your experiences here. I also have a unicornuate uterus and information is hard to come by. Wishing you a quick recovery both physical and emotional. I hope you have a much smoother ride from here on out.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s